Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
Abandoned Tropico Gold Camp
Rosamond | Mojave Desert

Click image to enlarge

April 21, 2013 — Abandoned buildings and relics of mining operations at the site of the Tropico Gold Mine in Rosamond, Calif.

Rosamond, est. 1877, is located in the Mojave Desert. Out of Santa Clarita, take Highway 14 north past Lancaster.

The Tropico Gold Mine opened in the 1890s as the Lida Mine. It thrived throughout the first decades of the 20th Century until the late 1950s, by which time the cost of extracing the gold nearly equalled the fixed market price of the yellow metal ($35 per ounce). Its owners turned it into a touristy ghost down but shut it down in the mid-1980s, again amid rising costs — this time in the form of insurance premiums.

Today the privately owned property is fenced off — no trespassing. Occasionally the property is used for filming (e.g., "Ocean's Thirteen" starring George Clooney, 2007).

According to a 1971 letter by Arnold Munz, one of the structures "on exhibition at Glen Settles' Gold Mine at Rosamond" is "the old, original house that my father built." It is unclear whether Munz is referring to a house his father built in Palmenthal (Old Palmdale) or at the Munz homestead in the Elizabeth Lake area.

Rosamond and the Tropico Gold Mine

The city of Rosamond was another depot on the Southern Pacific Rail Line in 1876 and a trading post for local mines. First known as Bayle Station or Baylesville after postmaster David Bayles (1885), the town was later renamed Rosamond (Rosamond County Library vertical file, n.d.). Rosamond town site lots were obtained from the Southern Pacific by an E.H. Seymour in 1904 and sold to a C.C. Calking three years later (Settle, 1967), who then "sold the mortgage to Charles M. Stinson, who in turn presented [deeded] it to the Union Rescue Mission of Los Angeles who foreclosed the mortgage in 1916. In 1935, the Rescue Mission began selling lots in the townsite, later presenting the remaining property to the community" (Darling, 2003).

Prior to the settling and eventual development of Rosamond, Tropico Hill was being mined for clay by Dr. L.A. Crandall who purchased the mine in 1882. Hamilton renamed the mine "Hamilton Hill" and during the course of the clay-mining activities, gold was discovered. Having changed names again, the then known "Lida Mine" was sold to the Antelope Mining Company in 1908 and again to the Tropico Mining and Milling Company in 1909. Eventually the mine was acquired by the Burton brothers in 1912, who were former employees of the Tropico Mining and Milling Company. For a brief period between 1942 and 1946, in support of World War II wartime mining efforts, the mine closed. Once the war was past, the mine reopened and remained in operation until 1956. The Tropic Gold Mine was "one of the most successful gold mines in California" (Cunkelman, 2001).

lw2371i: 9600 dpi jpeg from digital image by Leon Worden.

Stuckey Bldg ~1890

Wind Sailing 1890s

Rosamond Depot 1912

2007 x4

Drone Video 2012

2013 x11

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ] is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV
The site owner makes no assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to digitized images. However, these images are intended for Personal or Research use only. Any other kind of use, including but not limited to commercial or scholarly publication in any medium or format, public exhibition, or use online or in a web site, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the site owner. USERS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying associated fees necessary for the proposed use.